Sixth Form Admissions Arrangements for September 2024
Herne Bay High School is a mixed Sixth Form of approximately 300 students across Year 12 and 13. For the intake from September 2023 onward priority will be given to existing students transferring from Year 11. The PAN for external candidates will be 50. This figure may be exceeded if this, and the number of internal pupils transferring into Year 12, is less than the overall total figure. Subject to course availability the overall year group total is 200.
Over subscription waiting lists will be maintained up to one week after the 6th Form term has commenced.
All applicants apply via the Kent Choices website and no further applicants will be accepted after our deadline of the 2nd February 2024. Late applicants should make contact in August after GCSE results are known.
Kent Choices Website
Our Level 3 Programme of Study is completed over two years and our entry requirement is:
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at 9-4, including Mathematics, English at a minimum Grade 4 and Science preferably Grade 4.
- For some subjects, the entry requirements differ slightly. For example, to study A Level Mathematics, students need to obtain a minimum of 5 GCSEs in the range of 9-4, including GCSE Mathematics Grade 7, English Grade 4 and preferably Science Grade 4.
If you are not eligible to apply for the Level 3 courses, you may wish to apply to join one of our alternative pathways
Our Level 2+ Programme of Study is completed over two years and our entry requirement is:
- 4 GCSEs grade 9-4, including either GCSE Mathematics grade 4 and GCSE English Grade 3, or
- 4 GCSEs grade 9-4, including either GCSE English grade 4 and GCSE Mathematics grade 4.
Please refer to the full prospectus for Level 3 subjects and entry criteria available under this pathway.
The application process for both internal and external students for the Sixth Form is as follows:
- Application is made through the Kent Choices online website, as part of the Local Authority scheme.
- All applications will be considered.
- The Sixth Form Information Evening will be held in November.
- A meeting will be held in the Spring Term to discuss options and academic entry requirements. A conditional offer letter will be sent to all applicants who are reasonably expected to meet the entry requirements and whose subject preferences can be met.
- A one week Sixth Form Induction is held in June/July prior to September entry where applicants will be offered the opportunity to attend ‘taster’ lessons and confirm final course preferences.
- On GCSE Results day all internal candidates will be written to advising whether they have been successful, given an alternative offer or been unsuccessful.
- A confirmation of acceptance by way of online enrolment is required by 3:00 pm on the day following the publication of GCSE exam results in August to secure the conditional offer place for both internal and external applicants.
- External applicants should provide copies of their GCSE results by 3.00pm on the day following the publication of GCSE exam results by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Should any students have any queries or concerns, they should contact the 6th Form team on email@example.com
Late Applications following GCSE Results Day
If you would like to make a late application to Herne Bay High School 6th Form, please make contact on firstname.lastname@example.org detailing the following once your GCSE results are known.
- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- Full Home Address
- Student Telephone Contact Details
- Student Personal email
- School attended and name and e mail contact for an academic reference
- Please check our option blocks and list the subjects you would like to study - please be aware some courses may now be full
- Enclose a copy of all GCSE Results
We will then be in contact in due course.
We will not accept applicants beyond the 13th September 2024.