Homework and Independent Learning Tasks are work that is set to be done outside the timetabled curriculum. It is most usually independent study in that a teacher does not usually directly supervise it although that option is usually available within Departments or the LRC. It is important in raising student achievement through solidifying skills and developing new ones.
Not all homework is done at home; in fact, for some pupils who find it hard to work at home, or for some tasks that may require resources (books, software, equipment) more readily available at school, it is necessary or desirable to carry out the task at school.
Homework enhances pupil learning, improves achievement and develops pupils' study skills and as such is an integral part of the curriculum. It requires careful planning and integration into the scheme of work of each curriculum area.
The aim of Homework and Extended Learning is to:
• raise standards of achievement;
• provide opportunities for students to work independently and to take responsibility for organising their work;
• help students recognise the link between good study habits and higher standards of achievement;
• check that students have understood classwork;
• consolidate or extend work covered in school;
• prepare for future lessons; and
• extend lesson time to enable the National Curriculum to be covered.
Homework can be:
• Independent learning
• Consolidation of work in class
• Practice - learning by doing
• Completion of course work assignments
• Visual arts
• Graphic communication & language
• Using ICT
Homework and Extended Learning tasks will be set regularly and recorded on the Show My Homework Website.
Homework will be regularly marked and assessed.
Sanctions and Rewards
• Behaviour Points will be issued to students for failing to complete homework or meet deadlines, or completing work below a standard commensurate with their ability in accordance with the Behaviour Policy.
• Heron Points (Achievement Points) will be awarded to students for good, excellent and outstanding effort or homework in accordance with the Behaviour Policy.