The aim of Homework and Extended Learning is to:
• raise standards of achievement;
• provide opportunities for students to work independently and to take responsibility for organising their work;
• help students recognise the link between good study habits and higher standards of achievement;
• check that students have understood classwork;
• consolidate or extend work covered in school;
• prepare for future lessons; and
• extend lesson time to enable the National Curriculum to be covered.
Homework can be:
• Independent learning
• Consolidation of work in class
• Practise - learning by doing
• Completion of coursework assignments
• Research or investigating
• Visual arts
• Graphic communication & language
• Using ICT
Homework and Extended Learning tasks will be set regularly and recorded on the Show My Homework Website. Please click here to visit Show My Homework
Homework will be regularly marked and assessed, with students receiving feedback promptly.
• Behaviour Points will be issued to students for failing to complete homework or failing to meet deadlines or completing work below a standard commensurate with their ability in accordance with the Behaviour Policy.
• Heron Points (Achievement Points) will be awarded to students for good, excellent and outstanding effort or homework in accordance with the Behaviour Policy.
The Role of Students
All students should complete homework tasks to the deadlines and standards expected by their teacher. Students should aim to get into a routine of regularly completing work when it is set by referring to the Show My Homework website to plan and organise their tasks. Students should inform their teacher prior to the deadline if they have concerns regarding the difficulty of the work set or if they are concerned they will not meet the deadline set.
The Role of Parents and Carers
Parents and carers should support their child in the completion of homework tasks and inform the school if there is an issue with their child meeting deadlines or with completing the task to the standard required. We ask for the support of parents if sanctions are required due to their child failing to complete homework on time or to the required standard.